Somehow, I don’t think the Italians had this in mind when they invented lasagna oh-so-many moons ago:
An Oreo cookie crust, cheesecake filling, chocolate pudding, whipped cream and mini chocolate chips?
But……… incredibly tasty.
Many thanks to my good friend Lana, who told me about this unusual concoction. And from what I can gather, it is a knock-off of the Chocolate Lasagna formerly served at Olive Garden restaurants.
Chocolate Lasagna – adapted from center cut cook
- 1 package regular Oreo cookies – about 36 cookies
- 6 tbs. butter, melted
- 1- 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbs. cold milk
- 1- 12 ounce tub Cool Whip, divided (I used a pint of heavy cream that I whipped by hand)
- 2 – 3.9 ounce packages Jello Chocolate Instant Pudding.
- 3 1/4 cups cold milk
- 1 and 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips
- Crush the Oreo cookies into fine crumbs in the food processor.
- Transfer the Oreo crumbs to a large bowl. Stir in 6 tablespoons melted butter and use a fork to incorporate the butter into the cookie crumbs. When the butter is distributed, transfer the mixture to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Press the crumbs into the bottom of the pan. Place the pan in the refrigerator while you work on the additional layers.
- Mix the cream cheese with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add in 2 tbs. of milk, and sugar, and mix well. Stir in 1 and 1/4 cups Cool Whip (or whipped cream). Spread this mixture over the crust.
- In a bowl, combine chocolate instant pudding with 3 and 1/4 cups cold milk. Whisk for several minutes until the pudding starts to thicken. Use a spatula to spread the mixture over the previous cream cheese layer. Allow the dessert to rest for about 5 minutes so that the pudding can firm up further.
- Spread the remaining Cool Whip (or whipped cream) over the top. Sprinkle mini chocolate chips evenly over the top. Place in the freezer for 1 hour, or the refrigerator for 4 hours before serving.