Sabrina and I have been on our own this past week, since Alexander is in Florida and J is working in NY (lucky devil), so she and I have had free rein to kick up our heels, paint the town red, and stay out till dawn.
Truthfully, we took the time to visit the Texas State History Museum, had lunch downtown at a food truck she saw on TV, have completed lots of art projects, and caught up on our movie-watching.
And gone to bed early every night.
Clearly we are out of control….
So with all of our dinner options, we have been tossing around multiple ideas (strangely, going out to eat wasn’t one of them), and made these pork chops one night last week…
Although I was concerned that the sauce would be too spicy, it was perfect – and truthfully, I really liked how fast everything came together. We will definitely be making this again.
Indoor Jerk Chicken – adapted from Martha Stewart
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero chile, stemmed
- 1 bunch scallions, cut into pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbs. packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 tbs. ground allspice (I used half this amount, since I don’t care too much for allspice)
- 2 tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbs. lime juice
- 2 tbs. vegetable oil, plus more for grill
- 2 bone-in pork chops (or chicken)
- Fresh ground black pepper
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-low. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. Grill chops, covered, turning often to prevent charring, until cooked through, 20-25 minutes